OUTFEST 2006 Winners Announced
Outfest, 2006, one of the world’s largest gay and lesbian film festivals, bookend the 12-day festival (August 6 – 17) on Monday, with the Closing Night film of the musical comedy “20 Centimeters” at the famous Orpheum Theatre, with an after-party following the screening.
Outfest 2006, the festival’s 24th edition, featured 209 films and videos from 28 countries, exhibited in nine venues over 12 days. The festival boasted five galas, 70 feature film programs, 15 short film programs, six panels and five special events.
The announcement of this year’s OUTFEST winners was held a day before at the open-air John Anson Ford Amphitheatre before the screening of Q. Allan Brocka’s most anticipated movie “Boy Culture.” The coveted 12th Annual Film Competition Awards, was hosted by Bruce Villanch and was sponsored by Tylenol PM, in which 15 competitive film awards were announced in three categories: Grand Jury Awards, Audience Awards and Special Programming Awards. Celebrity presenters included were Jeff Stryker, Loretta Devine, Jane Lynch, Momma (who served as the Trophy Girl), Rex Lee (“Entourage”), Rodney Chester, Doug Spearman, Jensen Atwood, Christian Vincent ("Noah's Arc"), Wilson Cruz, Eduardo Xol, Jim Verraros, Steve Kmetko and Frank DeCaro (Sirius Radio Personality).
The winners of the Grand Jury Awards are as follows:
• OUTstanding American Narrative Feature – “The Gymnast” (Director: Ned Farr) This award also includes $2,500 cash prize, courtesy of 20th Century Fox
• OUTstanding International Narrative Feature – “Whole New Thing” (Director: Amnon Buchbinder
• OUTstanding Documentary Feature – “Small Town Gay Bar” (Director: Malcolm Ingram)
• OUTstanding Screenwriting – Q. Allan Brocka and Phillip Pierce for “Boy Culture”
• OUTstanding Actor in a Feature Film – Michael Carbonaro for “Another Gay Movie”
• OUTstanding Actress in a Feature Film – Diane Gaidry for “Loving Annabelle”
The winners of the Audience Awards are as follows:
• HBO OUTstanding First Narrative Feature – “The Gymnast” (Director: Ned Farr)
• OUTstanding Narrative Feature – A tie: “Loving Annabelle” (directed by Katherine Brooks) and “A Love to Hide” (directed by Christian Faure)
• OUTstanding Documentary Feature – “Camp Out” (Directors: Kirck Marcolina and Larry Grimaldi
• OUTstanding Narrative Short Film – “Available Men” (Director: David Dean Bottrell
• OUTstanding Documentary Short Film – “My Crazy Life” (Director: Carlos Arguello, Enzo Ybarra, and APLA’s MPowermanet & Studio
• OUTstanding Soundtrack – “Pick Up the Mic” (Director: Alex Hinton)
The winners of the Special Programming Awards are as follows:
• Freedom Award – Dan Hunt, Janet Boss and Reed Williams, Directors for “Cruel and Unusual”
• OUTstanding Emerging Talent – Ash Christian, Director of “Fat Girls”
• OUTstanding Artistic Achievement – Ho Tam, Director of “Book of James”
The American Features Competition jurors were Craig Chester, Mia Riverton and Ernest Hardy. The International Features Competition jurors were Matthew Fox, Robert Hawk and Doris Yeung. The Documentary Competition jurors were Shannon Kelley, Jennifer Morris and J. Karen Thomas.
Outfest 2006 is presented by Absolut, HBO and Atrium. Premiere sponsors include Adelphia, Avis, Bravo, Directors Guild of America (DGA), here! TV, Mercedes-Benz and Clear Channel. For more information, log on to www.outfest.org or call 213/480-7065. More pics at www.picturetrail.com/olivercarnayphotos or please see Gallery (Oliver Carnay)
BOY CULTURE cast members Derek Magyar, Emily Brooke Hands, Jonathon Trent, and Q. Allan Brocka (second from right) before the awards presentation prior to the screening of their movie, held at the open-air John Anson Ford Amphitheatre. Q. Allan Brocka shared the award with Phillip Pierce for "Best Screenplay"