12th Annual World Championships of Performing Arts
Opening Ceremony to take place at famous Universal CityWalk on July 20 at 9:30 a.m.
with more than 40 countries to participate for the Parade of Nations
Hollywood, California (June 15, 2008) – Cited as the official “World Talent Championships” for aspiring performers and entertainers - hundreds of singers, dancers, jugglers, and others (you name it) from all parts of the world, will compete in Hollywood, the entertainment capital of the world, for the 12th annual World Championships of Performing Arts competition which will take place from July 19 through July 27 at the Bonaventure Hotel in downtown, Los Angeles.
According to Griff O’Neil, competition president and a former executive of the Miss Universe Pageant, “More than 40 countries will participate and vie for the ‘Gold’ plus $50,000 in scholarships awarded by the School for Film and Television in New York. This is the only truly Olympic-style talent competition ever created and we have been planting seeds for the past twelve years. Past talents and winners are aggressively making a name in the Hollywood industry and this time, we are once again ready to show off our spectrum of talents, both junior and adult divisions.”
On July 20, popular TV Host and three-time Emmy winner Bob Eubanks will once again emcee the Opening Ceremony to be held at the famed Universal CityWalk (now held for the second time). The big event which will be covered by local and international press will have its traditional Parade of Nations to be participated by talent competitors coming from more than 40 countries plus special celebrity guests and past winners of WCOPA. The exciting finals will be staged at the beautiful Grand Ballroom at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel on Friday evening, July 25.
To be inducted as this year’s Achievement Award Honoree is award-winning actress, designer and role model Jaclyn Smith (Charlie’s Angels, Shear Genius, Jaclyn Smith Home). Among past honorees include Grey’s Anatomy star Justin Chambers (last year’s honoree), music composer Steve Dorff, successful voice teacher Seth Riggs, Reba McIntyre, actor Dean Cain, singer Jennifer Holiday, designer Oleg Cassini, stylist Jose Eber, award-winning choreographer Debbie Allen, fashion consultant Mr. Blackwell, and tv host Bob Barker, actress Dee Wallace Stone, talent agent Thor Bradwell, Tony award-winner Gordon Harrell, music composer and album producer Shele Sondheim, actors Michael Copon and Randy Wayne, singer, among others.
Six categories of competitions and over a hundred judges from entertainment industry will be involved before the main prizes, “Junior and Senior Grand Champion Performers of the World,” are announced at the Finals. Included in the competitions are dance, vocal, modeling, acting, instrumental and variety arts. Each “act” is allowed 60 seconds to showcase their skills in the final competition.
Judges chosen to participate for the Finals at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel on July 25 include:
• Sam Harris - first Star Search winner and successful recording artist and Broadway actor
• Bruce Newburg – one of the busiest and most successful casting director (TNT’s The Closer, CBS’ The Class, and feature films such as The Sisters, The Maker, When The Party’s Over and many others).
• Crista Klayman – Director of Runway at L.A. Models who discovered supermodel Tyra Banks and books with every major client in the world from Roberto Cavalli to Christian Dior.
• Erik DeSando – A 15-year veteran and founder of Urge Entertainment who has represented, Eva Longoria, Mario Lopez, Lee Ann Rhimes, among others.
• Tena Clark – Founder/CEO/Chief Creative Officer of DMI Music & Media Solutions combining the power of music, digital entertainment and non-traditional distribution to connect brands to consumers. Celebrated composers of songs: from McDonald’s famous commercial Have You Had Your Break Today to My Best Friend’s Wedding, Where The Heart Is, Hope Floats, Twins, Entertainment Tonight, and Desperate Housewives.
• Daniel Solis – Director of talent casting for Disneyland and international Disney theme parks.
• Gordon Harrell – Music arranger and Supervisor for many Broadway Tony award-winning shows such as Dancin’, 1776, Jesus Christ Superstar, Fosse and Sweet Charity. His musical arrangements for television include Sesame Street, Radio City Music Hall, The Tony Awards, and the Miss America Pageant. He is also the composer, producer and arranger of the World Championships’ theme song “Building Bridges.”
• Victoria Morris – Senior Talent Executive at Kazarian/Spencer & Associates with offices in Los Angeles and New York City where clients are currently performing on Broadway in Jersey Boys, Wicked, Legally Blonde, Phantom of the Opera, and A Chorus Line.
• Anita Mann – Six Emmy nominations, two Emmy Awards and honored by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences as one of America’s top choreographers and live show producer. Her countless credits include The Academy Awards, The Golden Globe Awards, Academy of Country Music Awards, Miss America Pageant, The People’s Choice Awards, The Emmys.
• Dimitri Diatchenko – 2003 WCOPA world acting and instrumental winner. His fast-track career include include rave reviews in numerous films, commercials and TV shows: Criminal Minds, Shark, The Suite Life, The Riches, the recently released Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Skull with Harrison Ford, and next co-stars with Tom Arnold in the film Remarkable Power which features his original solo guitar composition on the soundtrack.
• Jeff Weber- Producer of over 165 CDs with releases on just about every major label as well as a host of independent labels. His projects have yielded two Grammys, seven Grammy nominations, seventeen top ten albums, two number one albums and an assortment of other honors. His new independent label is called “Imagine That.”
• Tess Taylor – Founder and President of the National Association of Record Industry Professionals (NARIP). An eminent keynote speaker, a music and record industry career strategist who launched numerous projects and companies in the USA and abroad, and consultant for MySpace.com, The Walt Disney Company, BMG Entertainment, Sony, Concord Records.
• Representatives from JIVE Records, Geffen Records, among others!
For Talent, Press & Media RSVP, please contact: Oliver Carnay at firstname.lastname@example.org